Declan Boyle will drive his Ford Fiesta WRC in Abbeyleix
Just some two weeks ago Donegal’s Declan Boyle debuted a Fiesta R5 at the Galway International Rally, however, he reverts to his Fiesta WRC for Sunday’s opening round of the Triton Showers National Rally series, the Abbeyleix Manor Hotel Rally.
“Yes, it’s back to the WRC, the R5 has less power but is great to handle and better brakes.” said Declan, whose cousin Brian Boyle returns to the co-driving seat to call the pacenotes.
On the prospect of a record making fourth title the Lettermacaward driver remarked, “Yes that’s the one, it would be class to win it four times alright, so we have to put the effort in to see if we can do it.”
On his possible rivals he added, “Josh (Moffett) is always a threat and we will just have to wait and see who registers but you have to go flat out the take the slowest of them.”
Prior to the event, mechanical scrutiny take place this Saturday evening from 2pm until 7.30pm at Oliver Stanley Motors, Cork Road, Durrow. On Sunday, the first car away from rally headquarters at the Abbeyleix Manor Hotel is at 9.05am with the finish ramp celebrations scheduled for 5.28pm.
TOP 10 STARTERS:
1. Roy White/James O’Brien (Ford Fiesta WRC)
2. Declan Boyle/Brian Boyle (Ford Fiesta WRC)
3. Josh Moffett/Andy Hayes (Ford Fiesta WRC)
4. Sam Moffett/James Fulton (Ford Fiesta R5)
5. Peadar Hurson/Damien Connolly (Ford Fiesta WRC)
6. Joe McGonigle/Ciaran Geaney (Mini WRC)
7. David Bogie/John Rowan (Skoda Fabia R5)
8. Niall Maguire/Anthony Nestor (Subaru WRC)
9. Kevin Barrett/Sean Mullally (Subaru WRC)
10. Steve Wood/Keith Moriarty (Subaru WRC)